If the payer wants the recipient to choose and fill either W9 or W8BEN based on their citizenship status, then the endpoint WhCertificate should be opted. Depending on their nationality and residency status, recipients can fill out, e-sign, and submit either Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN. Through a browser URL, recipients who are US citizens fill out Form W-9 whereas foreign nationals fill out Form W-8BEN.
When requesting a Form W-9 from the recipient, you can opt for TIN Matching. Once the recipient completes their Form W-9, TaxBandits will validate the Name and TIN on the Form W-9 against the IRS records. If TIN matching fails, you can request a new Form W-9 from the recipient.
Here’s how WhCertificate endpoint may be used:
- Call the Auth method to get the access token. This access token must be supplied in the request header as the ‘Bearer‘ token. Refer OAuth 2.0 Authentication for more information on JWT authentication and how to integrate with the subsequent requests.
- Call the [POST] WhCertificate/RequestByUrl method to return a unique URL. Opens up an intermediate screen on the browser that allows them to choose either Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN, fill, and submit the form. Opt for TIN Matching of W9s if needed.
- Status method returns statuses of form submission and TIN Matching for recipients.
- Get method returns the information submitted by the payee along with the link to the completed W-9/W-8BEN.
- Setup WhCertificate Status Change Webhook. When recipients fill, e-sign, and submit the form, the payload response will have details of the information submitted.