To report to the IRS payments greater than $600 made to vendors during the tax year, 1099s are filed. Before reporting, as a payer, you must collect from your vendors details such as payee name, TIN, Type of TIN, address etc using Form W-9. Now, it is recommended you do a TIN Match before filing 1099s. Catching them early allows you to avoid hefty penalties from filing invalid 1099s.
When requesting a Form W-9 from the recipient, you can opt for TIN Matching. Once the recipient completes their Form W-9, TaxBandits will validate the Name and TIN on the Form W-9 against the IRS records. If TIN matching fails, you can request a new Form W-9 from the recipient.
Below we discuss the solution to acquire signed W-9s from your recipients using the TaxBandits API. A viable solution is to have recipients fill their W-9 information, e-sign, and submit the form.
Here’s how W9 endpoint may be used:
- Call the Auth method to get the access token. This access token must be supplied in the request header as the ‘Bearer‘ token. Refer OAuth 2.0 Authentication for more information on JWT authentication and how to integrate with the subsequent requests.
- RequestByUrl will provide the unique URL that can be opened on the client's diet to complete the form. Whereas RequestByEmail will send an email to the recipient with the link. The link will redirect the user to a portal (That can be white-labeled) to complete the W-9 form.
- Delete method is used to delete a particular W-9 request or a submission. If there are multiple W-9s requested in a Submission, all the W-9 records under the submission will be deleted.
- Status method returns statuses of form submission.
- Use the method List to list the W-9 under a particular business. The W-9 can be filtered based on the W-9 Statuses and Date Range.
- Get method returns the information submitted by the payee along with the link to download the completed W-9.
- Getpdf endpoint will provide the W-9 URL, which can be embedded on the client's website using IFrame or other means.
- Setup W9 Status Change Webhook. When recipients fill, e-sign, and submit the form, webhook will post an URL for the completed W-9 form.