Form 1099-MISC is used to report miscellaneous payments such as rents, prizes, medical and health care payments, etc.
Typically, this form is filed by businesses when they have made $600 or more as miscellaneous payments. This includes:
- Prizes and awards
- Other income payments
- Medical and health care payments
- Crop insurance proceeds
- Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish
- Generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate
- Payments to an attorney
- Any fishing boat proceeds
Services you can avail of through TaxBandits API:
- Federal & State Filing - E-file 1099-MISC with both the IRS and States.
- Postal Mailing - Distribute the recipient copy of Form 1099-MISC via Postal Mail.
- Online Access - Make the digital copies of Form 1099-MISC available online for the corresponding recipients.
Form 1099-MISC endpoints:
You can use the following endpoints to complete the 1099-MISC filing.
In order to use the following endpoints, you must call the Auth method to get the access token. This access token must be supplied in the request header as the ‘Bearer‘ token. Refer to OAuth 2.0 Authentication for more information on JWT authentication.
- Create - To create multiple 1099-MISC forms in a single request for the same Payer. While creating the form, you can opt for state filing, postal mail, and online access if required.
- Update - To make changes to an existing Form 1099-MISC.You cannot update a Transmitted return.
- Transmit - To transmit the 1099-MISC to the IRS.
- Status - To check the status of the 1099-MISC after transmission. (As an alternative, you can configure Webhooks for E-file Status Change)
If need to retrieve Form PDFs, you can use one of the endpoints mentioned here.
Other 1099-MISC Endpoints:
You can use any of the following endpoints based on your needs.
- ValidateForm - To validate the field-level specifications of form 1099-MISC before creating the form. (Optional)
- Validate - To audit the created Form 1099-MISC data before transmission to the IRS.
- List - To list all Form 1099-MISC created and transmitted on the account for a Particular submission or Payer.
- Get - To retrieve the recipient data, business data and form data from the 1099-MISC created.
- Delete - To delete the 1099-MISC return you prepared. (Transmitted forms cannot be deleted)
1099-MISC PDF Retrieval
You can obtain the PDF version of your 1099-MISC forms using one of the following endpoints:
- RequestDraftPdfUrl - To return the Draft PDF for review purposes. These forms are not transmitted and will have a watermark "For Review only" on it.
- RequestPdfURL - To retrieve PDFs for single or multiple recipients.
- GetPDF - To get the link for Form 1099-MISC PDF. To use this, you must have configured Webhook for it so that the endpoint will return the PDFs via Webhook.
Note: To retrieve the final version of 1099 Form PDFs, you can use either RequestPdfURL or GetPDF and not both.
To learn how to retrieve a 1099 PDF, click here